Celebrating Good News
You don’t have to look too far to discover some good news around Star of the North. In case you missed it:
- Your gifts continue to important to our ongoing COVID recovery. Our Christmas year-end giving campaign with a total of $51,327.00 received in donations, to be matched with a donation of $50,000 thanks to the generosity of the Oblates of OMI Lacombe Canada.
- Our Star Garden cooperative gardening project has received a $5000 environmental initiatives grant from the City of St. Albert to be put toward a greenhouse that will further grow our project.
- Our Enlarge the Space of Your Tent online conversation on synodality coming January 31 and hosted in partnership with Queen’s House, Galilee Centre, and Centre Oblate: A Voice for Justice now has over 140 registrants and is still growing.
- The fifth module of our signature program Aurora Living: Formation Through Word & Creation is successfully underway, and plans are in motion for a Year 2 with the larger Star community in June.
- 2023 looks to be a full year with plenty of inspiring programs and facilitators. We look forward to offerings from Fr. Ron Rolheiser, Sr. Teresita Kambeitz, Shane Claiborne, Jennifer Henry, Richard Groves, and many more!
- We celebrate the return of both our Men’s Wellness (May) and Women’s Wellness (July) retreats. Ask us how you can help!
Still Time To Register
There is still time to get in on these important programs:
- JANUARY 31 | Enlarge the Space of Your Tent Join an online panel conversation on the Continental Stage of the Synod on Synodality with Most Reverend Paul-Andre Durocher, Sandy Prather, and Linda Staud on Tuesday, January 31 from 4:30 to 6:00 pm (MST). No cost, however registration is required. Register at tinyurl.com/enlargeyourtent or call 613-623-4242 ext. 21
- FEBRUARY 9 | Twilight Recovery Evenings are open to anyone either in a 12-step program or loving one who is, as well as anyone wanting to learn more about addictions and the recovery process. Join Archbishop Emeritus Sylvain Lavoie for a time of support group sharing, input and prayer. Thursday, February 9 from 7:00 to 8:30 pm. Donations welcome. Register at www.starofthenorth.ca/twilight
- FEBRUARY 16 |Reconciliation Through Justice Series: Water An apology only takes on meaning when there is action. This session, we welcome elders Fred and Melanie Campiou on Thursday, February 16 at 7:00 pm MT to speak to us on the issues surrounding water. Register at www.starofthenorth.ca/reconciliation to join us in-person at Star of the North Retreat Centre or online. Donations are welcome.
- FEBRUARY 21 | Mystics on the Margins Series: Dorothy Day Explore the lives of mystics whose spirituality expanded culture and faith for a 20th century world. How might we discern our own engagement with culture and faith for today’s challenges? Join presenter Lucie Leduc, in-person or online on Tuesday, February 21 from 9:30 to 11:00 am (MT). Cost per session: $30 | Whole series: $75. Register at www.starofthenorth.ca/mystics
5 Opportunities to Deepen Your Lenten Journey
How will you deepen your Lenten journey this year? From evening reflections and scripture studies to one-day or weekend retreats, there’s something for everyone here.
- FEBRUARY 25 | Tempted/Beloved: Finding A Highway Through Our Wilderness Join a powerful, one-day Lenten retreat filled with promise as Fr. Mark Blom, OMI explores Jesus’ baptism and temptations as guides to our humanity and identity. Online or in-person Saturday, February 25 from 9:30 to 4:00 pm (MT). Early Deadline February 7th: $90 online | $120 in-person (includes lunch). www.starofthenorth.ca/lent
- MARCH 1 | Footfalls: An Evening of Poetry, Storytelling & Guided Reflection Join Suzanne Doerge, author of Footfalls: Poems of the Camino. In this two hour session, Suzanne will lead participants on a reflection of a path taken in their own lives. Wednesday, March 1st from 6:30-8:30 pm. Cost: $20 regular | $30 with pre-purchase copy of the book. www.starofthenorth.ca/footfalls
- MARCH 6 | Tending the Soul: A 30 Day Scripture Journey with the book Song of the Seed by Macrina Wiederkehr Join facilitators Lucie Leduc & Debbie Doornbos through three retreat group gatherings—The Dance, The Feast, and The Gift—providing ritual and process for participants on this transformational journey with scripture and prayer. The journey starts March 6th from 1 – 4 pm and continues March 20th & April 3rd. Online or In-Person. Early Deadline February 7th: $60. www.starofthenorth.ca/tending
- MARCH 17-19 | French Retreat - Le visage du Serviteur dans le Livre d’Isaïe Une fin de semaine de retraite avec Sœur Catherine Grasswill en partenariat avec « le CÉFFA » (Conseil de l’éducation de la foi catholique chez les francophones de l’Alberta). Date limite d’inscription anticipée 15 février : 100 $ en ligne | 190 $ navetteur | 300 $ en personne. www.starofthenorth.ca/serviteur
- APRIL 1 | Rescuing Peter: Jesus & the Unpredictable Disciple Join faith educator Sr. Teresita Kambeitz for this one-day Lenten retreat reflecting on the graced ways in which Jesus saves impulsive Peter from himself. Peter is us! Saturday, April 1 from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm. Cost before March 1: Online $90 | Commuter $120. www.starofthenorth.ca/peter
Spring 2023 Programs
Connect with someone struggling in grief and invite them to a Bereavement Group.
Celebrate Mother’s Day with the gift of a retreat just for grandmothers.
Talk to youth leaders about bringing their young adults to hear Shane Claiborne.
Join a gardening series and get outside for some time in the garden.
Click on a program below.
There are so many ways to grow and deepen your faith!